Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No-Buy: the Beginning

Many of you have heard of lollipop26's "Project 10 Pan" creation (aka torture.) Laura created this project for makeup addicts like myself (and probably yourself) to help control the continual shopping urges. Participants stop purchasing new makeup (or skin care, hair care, etc) until 10 products they already own are used up.

That's not what I'm doing.

While I think that is a great idea, I know myself too well. I would "accidentally" waste product, try to give it away, etc and in the end, come to hate it. Perhaps when I come to having a healthier relationship with my products, I can attempt this. In the mean time, I am putting myself on a No-Buy, which means no new products for two months (this is my arbitrary time limit). Here are the rules:

 -If I run out of a product, I can repurchase that product only if there is nothing else in my collection that satisfies that need. For example, if I run out of mascara and do not have any more, then I can repurchase it.
 
-Limited edition items are exempt from the no-buy rules. If there is a item I have to have, then it is acceptable as I will not be able to purchase them later. However, this rule is not to be abused. (Note to self.)

-Birchbox items are exempt as I have a monthly subscription. However, purchasing full-sized items from the Birchbox website is not allowed until the end of my two months.

-Skin care is a little trickier. I would like to include this in the no-buy, but if I run out of an item that is working for my skin, I will repurchase despite having other products that have the same function (in about every category). My skin is fickle and I am trying to maintain a consistent skin care routine.

-If I do feel that there needs to be a new skin care item purchased, I must wait at least a week to see if I really need it. 

I am hoping that this gives me a chance to focus on what I have, not what I want. Also, it's a great way for me to save some money.

Here are a few items I have purchased recently that I look forward to using:

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in "Coral Reef"
A great summer shade, very pigmented


Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in "R.S.V.P."
I have used this almost every day since I bought it. It's beautiful.

Essie Nail Polish in "French Affair"
I loved "Nice is Nice" so I had to pick this up too.

LaVanila Roller Ball Perfume in "Vanilla Grapefruit"
The smell of this is divine. A full-sized bottle may be my first purchase after the no-buy.


 As you can see, I have a lot of new things I'm loving, as well as some old favorites. So Sephora, see you on June 28th. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment