Sunday, April 17, 2011

Do You Stretch Your Feet?

We all know the importance of stretching before and after a workout. Most likely, we stretch the areas that have been utilized the most: runners stretch their quads, pilates practicers stretch out their core and shoulders. However, few people remember to stretch their feet.

Feet do the most work for us, whether we are working out or just walking around. In high school, my dance teacher always told us how important it was to stretch your feet. I never thought much of it. But after living in a city where I am walking constantly (and usually not in the most supportive shoes... I choose fashion over comfort), I understand why this is so important. There have been morning where I could barely put my full weight on my feet.

To stretch my feet, I sit with my foot in my lap and move it in all possible directions, using my hands, not the muscles of my feet. I'll bend the top of my foot in and then stretch it back the other way. Separate your toes in all directions. It may seem weird, but trust me, it helps.

However, the absolute best tool for stretching your feet is a cat toy. Yes, you read that correctly. A foam cat ball is the best thing for sore feet. Put your foot on the ball, apply some weight (not all of it, but enough to feel some pressure) and roll it around the ball and arch of your foot. A few minutes on each side before you go to bed will help eliminate pain in the morning. I know it sounds weird, but give it a try! Your feet will thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I am going to do this. Loving your blog and your tweets. Love~ Radha

    ReplyDelete