Thursday, March 10, 2011

In-Flight: Make-Up and Food

As I'm packing to go home for Spring Break, I thought I would share what I'm bringing with me on the plane.

Make-up:
I've always believed in looking pulled together for a flight. I fly in jeans and a sweater, not sweatpants and I would always go with a full face of makeup. Now, I realize how drying these flights actually are. For my flight tomorrow, I am slathering my face in Josie Maran Argan Oil for the flight and holding off on the makeup application until the end of the flight. I discovered the wonders of argan oil a few weeks ago: it hydrates my skin, leaving it soft, full-looking and glowing. When I first got it, I got a little too enthusiastic and used it day and night which resulted in my skin freaking out and then breaking out. Lately, I have been using it every second or third day and I have had no adverse reactions. (I have also been using it nightly as an eye cream which has not caused any problems. A few drops make my hair look shiny, thick and hydrated). Here is a picture of the products I am bringing on the plane:



Mac Mineralized Skinfinish - This is my current foundation as I am beginning to suspect my Bare Minerals is causing the little bumps on my chin. I am going to look for a more "natural" mineral makeup in the future, but for now I like the finish and wear of this product.

Smith's Rosebud Salve - I have literally been through multiple tins of this lip balm. It is one of the only products that keeps my lips moisturized and I love the finish. I have pretty pigmented lips so this comes off almost like a lipgloss. If you are looking for some more color, I highly recommend the Fresh Lip Treatments in Rose or Plum.

Rimmel Lash Accelerator - This is my current mascara. I don't have a real opinion on it; it works (as a mascara; I'm not sure about the lash acceleration). 

Tarte Lock and Roll Shadow in Sandstone - One side is a hardcore cream shadow that does not crease. The other is a roller ball powder eyeshadow. This is perfect for the plane as it's a two-in-one product. And sandstone is the perfect champagne color to make you look awake after a long flight. Quick tip: Roll the eyeshadow onto your finger and then apply over the cream eyeshadow. Your eyes are gentle and this rollerball is a little too harsh applied directly.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil in Zero and Whisky - A cult favorite; as you can tell I love the Whisky color (I originally wrote "I love Whisky"...not quite what I meant). 

This look requires only a few products, takes no time to apply and is easy to do from the plane seat. There is definitely more makeup coming with me in my checked luggage, but I could get away with just this. 

Food:
I hate that "travel stomach" feeling so I have been much better about stocking up on food pre-flight. I finally learned that M and Ms, while delicious, are not going to cut it for a cross-country flight. For this flight I picked up:



-Fage Yogurt with Strawberry - my breakfast, pre-flight. I find that eating something filling, like dairy or protein, before boarding helps me avoid that horrible stomach feeling. 


-Go Macro MacroNutrient Bar in Chocolate Crunch - I have never tried these bars before, but I'm hoping I like them as they are "organic, vegan, macrobiotic, and an excellent source of Omega-3." And of course, gluten-free.


-Rice Works in Sea Salt - I just read the back of the bag to write down the nutritional facts, only to discover that this product contains sesame seeds. I have had these before, reaction-free, but I am not going to risk it (especially while up in the air!). These are staying home.

-an Apple - I have been bringing apples on long flights since I was little. They just make you feel healthy, fresh and hydrated.


-Tea's Tea in Green Jasmine - Obviously this is not coming on the flight with me, as no liquid is allowed past security, but I'll have this in the cab ride to the airport. Antioxidants and a little bit of caffeine, the unsweetened way.

-Cadbury Crunchie bar - I'm a chocolate fiend, so this is my chocolate of choice. Cadbury says there are trace amounts of gluten in this product, so if you have Celiac, stay away.

I am very excited to have a break from my hectic homework schedule. I'll be spending time with my family and friends, getting ahead on some reading, applying for summer internships, and shopping with my mom. I plan to keep up with this blog so look for a post about my current skincare routine (including my upcoming experiment), my Birchbox challenge, a review of the Go Macro bar, and perhaps a "haul" if I find some good spring clothing with my mom. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment