Saturday, March 19, 2011

Entering the Garden of Wisdom


I have not been faithful in a long time... to a skincare routine that is. I have gone on many dates, even had a short relationship with a few, but they always disappoint. They all hold the hope of skin perfection, but I have yet to discover that ideal state.




Enter Garden of Wisdom. Tall, dark and handsome, this website of natural skincare may just get me to commit, for life. Garden of Wisdom offers "Finished Products" as well as raw ingredients for those who like to experiment with their own concoctions. Their website is a little overwhelming at first as there is just so much to choose from, but because of this, I feel like I will eventually find a routine that works for me.

I have extremely sensitive skin. "Sensitive skin" isn't a type listed on Garden of Wisdom, but a condition. After being subjected to the dirty city air, it is no wonder my skin is out of whack. And as it is winter, it has been on the drier side. On top of that, I seem to always be fighting one or two breakouts and I always get little bumps on my chin. I would like to clear up my spots, even out my skin tone and fade some old acne scars, all without stripping or abusing my skin.

Perhaps one of the best aspects of Garden of Wisdom is their forum. Skincare lovers can get together to offer each other advice or rave about a current favorite product. Jen (Camellia Rose) is great at getting back to everyone quickly. After looking through the website for weeks and reading the forum, I narrowed my focus enough for a first purchase. With the help of Jen, this is what I chose:

-the Cleanser Sampler Pack
   Jen's Green Tea and Shea Butter Cleanser
   Oats, Milk and Honey Cleanser
   Creamy Cleanser
-Sensitive/Irritated Skin HA Sampler Pack
   Crisp Apple
   Blueberry
   Honeycomb
-Concord Grape Antioxidant Serum
-Fruity Meow Meow! Facial Lotion
-Mandelic Acid 5% [yes: alcohol yes: seaweed] Serum
-CocoBasil Clarifying Tonic
-GoAway Scar Cream
(Note: GoW also frequently includes carrier oils in their routines. I did not order any as I am currently loving my coconut oil and argan oil. I will continue to use these oils.)


Instead of shocking my skin with an inundation of new products, I am going to phase in one product each week. This way my skin can adjust slowly and I will be able to tell whether a product is working for me or not. Each week, I will report back on the product I am phasing in. It will be hard to control myself, but I believe with all the options that GoW offers, I will eventually find a routine that is right for me. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.


*Here are the links to the finished reviews:
Garden Review: Week 1
Garden Review: Week 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment